Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Can My Fascination with Books Become More?

So I'm unsure how it happened, but I found myself surfing online (read procrastinating) and I decided that opening a bookstore is a dream of mine. Now I haven't really thought about this in a calling sense, but rather "I like this concept" and "I could use an on-the-side business in addition to my ministry because I'll be dirt poor." Now I will say that I have been praying that God would help me to use my gift of desiring to give money away to people and organizations in need of support. Yet God revealed to me in prayer that despite what I may think about my financial situation, I will be considered rich because I live in the U.S., I have a degree(s) and I have a savings account. So please don't take this post as Gospel.

But, I must say that I have a great hobby in suggesting books to help people in their spiritual growth. And to my own astonishment at times, Christian bookstores and even the larger secular chain stores do not do justice to the great Christian works that are available to people. Katie Potter told me that at Urbana 03 that someone responded to criticism about spiritual books by saying, "if you reject God's working in people through books, you might as well forget the Holy Spirit." I'm guessing that would attributed to the oh so awesome Greg Jao who MCed Urbana 03 as well as 06, which I attended. And how many times do you walk into a Christian bookstore and find books with massive theological error, are culturally subjective and not inclusive, encourage temptation and fantasy (Christian fiction), and leaves important aspect of God's heart in their selection of books.

I would love to be in charge of selecting beneficial and biblical books that would truly help Christians and seekers alike. Books that would provide striking and gospel answers even when maintaining a secular voice.

How cool would it be to have a downtown bookstore? A bookstore that was like the well in Scripture? A place that was like the River of the Kingdom of God that was a source of spiritual water? How cool would it be to listen to people about their needs and then lead them to a helpful source? How cool would it be to welcome all people to use the space like a library. A place for people to gather and enjoy one another's company in Christian community. This would be a really fabulous enterprise, yet it would have to start with prayer. Many sources suggest starting with an online, in-home online bookstore. Something like that would be great for me to work on as a stay at home Mom. So this is definately not something for now, yet it is something for later. I would like to think that such a business could provide for my family's more pricey needs such as college, Sabbath vacations, etc. and of course would provide a large income to give away.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jen, I have no recollection of that conversation, but wow.
Someone threw a big stack of books into our apartment dumpster. I rescued all the Jesus books and am working on reading them and finding them homes. Who throws out books??? (especially good ones!)