Thursday, May 7, 2009

Trials

As I was sharing my trials with a few friends at the Div School, joking about the craziness of life, another student whizzed past me saying "if you keep thinking that way, bad stuff will keep happening to you." I probably wasn't so nice in my response as I said something like "Jesus never promised us a nice life free of trials, but we're promised that He's enough." I meant every word I said, though it was a little argumentative and catty.

Yesterday I was watching a tear-jerking episode of Oprah about pre-teens and teens committing suicide because of the weight of bullying. (I know, it's Oprah, but this issue hits home for me as someone who has been bullied at times and as a former school teacher who loves children). They had an intervention session with a young boy who has at the crux of not being able to take the bullying anymore. At first I was very thankful that they offered this child some tools for dealing with the bullies. All of the other cases showed kids at first coming to adults asking for help and when that help wasn't enough then their depression led to suicide. They heard the cries of this kid who was desperately reaching out for help and they gave him tools...yay!

BUT, the Psychologist proceeded to tell him that he allowed the bullying and that he was making himself a victim. He needed to have a mind change to change his situation. I was flabbergasted! And so was the Sociologist on hand who has researched sexuality-based bullying for about 15 years.

This mind over matter stuff when it comes to trials is very dangerous. I think it is counterproductive to the Gospel of Christ. First, it almost screams gnosticism to me--where we focus on spiritual realities and ignore the physical. It also falls in line with the whole "The Secret" stuff which (hello!) is modern-day gnosticism if I've ever seen it!

Secondly, not only does it present a historic heresy that the Church has fought against, but many of these psychologies and theologies have their basis in the occult. The idea that if only I say these little words (like a spell) then all will be well. Look online for more on the background of these movements (the Secret, the power of positive thinking, and the health and wealth, name it and claim it theologies). I will reference my OT TA soon to be Dr. Eggleston who pointed out that the prophet Jeremiah had to fight against the false prophets who promised "a good word" vs. God's word.

As I've been dealing with my own trials, I've spent some time in James, 1 Peter and Psalms lately. Our trials are not caused by God, but allowed by God for our refinement. This is part of the reason why we rejoice in our trials--because God is drawing us close and pruning us. If we aren't voicing our trials before God then David and Jesus were both bumbling idiots. But I think there is a much deeper reality in rejoicing in our trials. Trials should lead us to Jesus. If God does not cause our trials, then where is He? What does He feel like? Does He care?

The answer is (duh!) of course he cares! How can a child of God be in pain and the God who knows every hair on our head and the one who encourages good gifts to children not be concerned about our welfare? When I find myself in these places, I remember that God likes to hold me, rock me, sing over me like a child who is being tormented. God is the ultimate mother hen--and yeah, Scripture says that. God does not like it when the Devil is scheming, but He also allows it because He sent His Son to die for me. That is how serious God takes sin and brokenness. Last night I had this mental image of God spread out over me to protect me as when something is attacking your child or your pet. You cry and comfort the fallen and you seeth at the oppressor. But instead of saying don't worry, I'll never let that happen to you again, I hear the sweet voice of God saying--don't worry, this is why I sent my Son. He's done it all. This too will be made right. He has already won through the cross and resurrection back in 33 AD and through Him I've claimed you and you'll see Him rise in final victory. You'll celebrate at the victory table which will also be a marriage banquent.

If our trials don't put us at the feet of the Cross where we find love, justice and mercy, then we need to wonder about whose feet we are prostrating ourselves before.

No comments: