Tuesday, January 13, 2009

On Reading Amos

Over the past few days, I've been sitting in Amos. Like, stuck in Amos. Reading for OT unfortunately at times has to be fast since I am in Graduate School afterall. I have often resisted the pace, but Amos has frozen me, made me rock back and forth in my chair, has made me want to crawl under my desk and shout for mercy to God and simultaneously scream bloody murder.

When I read about injustice here, I see pictures. I see the political backlash of us fighting over who'll prayer for the nation at the Inauguration. I see us deporting the foreigner. I see us deporting and turning over people to unjust authorities or even non-authorities where they recieve much less than justice and love. I see national and natural disasters where God has tried to get our attention and we turn away to just comfort people and reassure them that God isn't angry with us and that bad stuff just happens with God playing no part. We should just forget about God and rebuild. I see New Orleans. I see our callousness to draw hatred on world leaders who we consider dangerous (yeah, read about Edom getting punished for burning an enemy king's bones and contrast that with our fascination with how we killed Sadaam Hussein and his children--not that they didn't justly need to be removed from power). I see those who have tried for years to ignore injustice lose their own jobs and power. I see whole nations losing their children and future leaders to genocide. I see us selling and traffiking people so that we can have more and more. I see us outsourcing to do this--all for the bottom line. I see where we ignore the hungry, yet go buy a new pair of shoes--which could easily feed/house someone else for days, weeks and months (depending on the geographic location).

I feel so torn up inside. How in the world have we missed these truths in our Churches?

No comments: