Tuesday, July 7, 2009

MJ and Cultural Redemption

I must begin with an apology that I was quite critical of Michael Jackson in my post Iconography. Although I agree with the truth of what I said, I find that as I watched the memorial service today that in these days since his passing that my theology head has impaired my heart from embracing the power and god-given mandate of culture.

Martin Luther King's two children (MLK 3 and Bernice) so beautifully remarked that Michael obeyed and delivered on God's commandment to live and work hard and well. MLK 3 quoted one his father's sayings that it didn't matter which talents God gave you, but that you used them to the best of your ability. This I can certainly agree with that yes, Michael Jackson lived the life of an entertainer quite well. He sang, danced, peformed, and created with everything that was inside of him. He selflessly devoted himself to his fans. I think it would be hard to identify another entertainer who legitimately cared so much for his fans. This is part of accepting and growing into what it means to give all yourself. Not only did MJ do all of these things, but his charity and humanitarian works touched the world and opened up realms for folks to care and truly love others.

It is not up to me to judge Michael's standing with the Lord, but many claimed that he sought to follow Jesus and that his acts of charity were inspired by his understanding of God's Word. So I can not judge, but I can hope that that is true.

So although there are pieces of me that still doesn't get it, I say "thank you" in the midst of my confusion. I need to appreciate the grand scale of the cultural mandate rather than pharisizing humanity.

No comments: