Monday, September 22, 2008

Team Victory


11 Divinity School students in a tent built for 8-10. Back to back 3 am sirens for checks. Dinner for almost 2,000. Campout 2008 was insane! But it all paid off since Team Victory went 6 for 12 in accumulating seasons tickets which we will divide up among us. Saturday evening we had a check and we all went running to the registration tent. We were asked to sit down and lo and behold Coach K and the entire Duke Basketball team showed up (minus Greg Paulus who was stuck in traffic). How amazing it was to see Coach less than 25 feet away from me!!! And I was sooo close to asking him a question! The only sad element of this was that because there was no introduction that they were coming, I didn't have a camera on me!

Coach spoke about Legacy and how he saw the establishment of this to begin with the grad students who realize that college and certain aspects of life do not last forever. He wants all of us to keep the eye on prize this year for a national champtionship. And I must say, the thought of keeping the eye on the prize really reminded me of this blog. During Campout you could easily forget the prize (being entered in the lottery for a chance of tickets in Cameron), yet the 10th siren that required you get up and run to the registration tent almost made you choose sleep (a distraction or competition to the prize). When I made this connection, I realize how often I give in to that distraction/competition rather than keep my eye on the ball. I give up often. How wonderful it was that for the last 10 hours or so of campout that they ran footage of the classic Duke victories! I could remember where I was, what I was thinking, and even the names of most of the players who have made up a part of my life. How quickly time flies. The current team were between the ages of (11 and 15) when Duke won the last National Championship in 2001! Babies! So life is worth keeping your eye on the prize. And as much as I'd like my prize to be a Duke National Championship--I forget that mine is the Championship party in heaven.


Grad Student TentVille

The Nylon Mobile Home makes its college debut as Taj-Ma-Tent

Team Victory!!!

No comments: